I have two part-time jobs (not counting being a mom, a wife, or a homemaker). A few days each week, I work during the day, tutoring. And a few nights each week, I work night-shift waitressing.
Tutoring is my passion and my expertise. My day-job is the one that will supposedly “take me somewhere”, even though I’m not looking to go anywhere!
- The hours are flexible.
- I love the content.
- I love my students.
- I love my coworkers.
It’s the career I never knew I always wanted.
My night job is waitressing. I took the job because I don’t tutor during the summer and I wanted to keep working. I kept the job because it is something I thoroughly enjoy doing.
- I meet new people every day.
- I get a new opportunity to cheer someone up and make their day special, every time I get a new table.
- I run around and burn extra calories. It’s honestly the only “real” exercise I get.
- I get to try new (delicious) food, which is another reason it’s good that I burn extra calories!!
- I get spiritually refreshed. I work with some amazing Christians who inspire me daily to walk closer to Christ.
Waitressing is something I do for me. Trust me, my husband would love for me to be home every night. It might be selfish, but I can see a distinct change in my attitudes about everything and it started the summer I took the job waitressing.
The restaurant where I waitress is very Christ-centered. I work with a great group of supportive and inspirational people. When I’m there, I know without-a-doubt that I’m in line with God’s will. He’s doing great things there and I’m glad to be apart of it.
We could “make it” if I didn’t waitress. But we don’t want to “make it”. We want to be debt free. I want to call Dave Ramsey on a Friday and scream it at the top of my lungs. And I want it to happen soon.
We may be working at it with less-than-gazelle intensity. But, we’re making some changes for 2013 that will hopefully make a bigger dent in those student loans. Maybe I’ll share our debt-free progress every month… Anyone interested?
I am beyond blessed to have both opportunities, as crazy and my schedules may seem.